Chicory. Not really a thing we seem to cook with much -although it’s definitely one of those ingredients that tips me in favour of one menu selection over another.
But, according to Eat The Seasons -an extremely helpful website- chicory is at its best so we gave it a whirl.
We opted for red chicory, sometimes called endive or witloof.
- 500g chicory. Halved lengthwise.
- 250ml double cream. Yep, another healthy recipe.
- 1 tablespoon French wholegrain mustard.
- 50 grams Gruyère cheese. Grated.
1. Preheat the oven. Steam the half heads of chicory for about seven minutes. We just used a colander over a saucepan of water.
2. Arrange the steamed chicory in an ovenproof dish. Mix together the double cream and mustard and pour this over the chicory.
3. Sprinkle the grated Gruyère over the top and put in the pre-heated oven for about twelve minutes or until everything is bubbling and awesome.
Serve however you like! This makes a great side for pork or something else that works well with the mustard/cream combination.